Thursday 30 July 2009

Day 6 - Walking from Coombe Martin - Putsborough

Hello Again everyone,

Sorry the updates are so random, the coverage down here is very sketchy and so I've not been able to get onto the internet as easily or regularly as I'd have liked!

So, so far I'm managing to walk all the distances, I've averaged about 12 - 13 miles a day so far. The weather has been really awful which has put a bit of a downer on my spirits at times! Saying that, all your support and motivation will keep me going and I am going to finish this challenge!

I had a rest yesterday in Coombe Martin, which was great. I stayed at a brilliant B&B, where they offered to wash some of my clothes (maybe that was a hint!) fed me a fantastic breakfast and gave me lots of hot tea! I've managed to hurt my achillies tendon, so I needed to rest that, but today will be walking 16 miles to Putsborough so hopefully it'll bear up!

I've met some really lovely and interesting people now who were walking to St. Ives, they were from Norway, Holland and Bournemouth! They gave me some good tips on making the distance - including telling me I was crazy to be carrying so much weight in my rucksack!! The weight is what is making the walking that much harder. There are lots of hills & valleys too, which makes things all a little more difficult! The scenery is gorgeous though - varies every time you go round a headland. If you're feeling tired, you've just got to look around, watch the sea & somehow it doesn't feel so bad. Apparently though the south coast is easier, so I hope I'm still in good form for that!

I'm still eating well, I've got chocolate for quick releases of energy, and I'm snacking regularly throughout the day. I'm not stopping to sit down for lunch or breaks really, so am impressed with my stamina so far!

Well, I'd best be off, 16 miles is a long stretch, so I've got to get started! I think the weather is going to be better today, so hopefully it'll be a bit easier!

I've got some pictures for you all to see, and will try to update them soon!

Will post again later,
George

P.S. If you now feel that I deserve the all important sponsorship for my research, do please visit www.justgiving.com/georgerix to sponsor me online! I need the encouragement right now if I'm honest!

Thanks again to everyone for your kind and generous donations, you have no idea how much it means to me!

G

1 comment:

  1. We just met up with George for a quick lunch in St Ives - looking so-oo much browner and so-oo much more confident than he did when we dropped him off in Minehead 3 weeks ago!! Walking very much a 'way of life' for him now and looking very good on it! Then a few days later we got a jubilant phonecall as George put his back to the wind at Land's End - well done from Anna, Neil, Thomas and Emma!!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete